Changing your dog’s diet can take some planning, especially if your dog is a fussy eater.
It’s important to remember that dogs are often creatures of habit and so it’s not uncommon for them to prefer their current food to a new one. Like humans, they can become accustomed to a food and may not welcome a disruption in their routine.
But that’s no excuse not to switch dog foods – especially if your dog is overweight. Some experts say dogs can live up to two years longer if their weight is healthy – that’s a very good reason to try, isn’t it?
Here are 5 very simple tips to remember to help you choose a good food for your overweight dog.
1. The best dog foods for losing weight will have lower calories so look for a weight loss dog food that’s low in fat content.
2. Look for a dog food with higher than average protein quantities, this will help keep your dog’s muscle tone as they lose weight.
3. Find a dog food that’s right for your dog’s breed, so if you own a large dog breed, look at formulas specifically created for large dog breeds who need to lose weight.
This is because foods designed for a dog’s size will have the right blend of fibres, minerals and vitamins for a dog of your breed’s size, all of which will help to keep your dog’s body in good condition as they lose weight.
4. Some weight management dog foods include omega 3 fatty acids. This could be particularly useful if your dog has inflammation or has shown signs of mobility problems caused by excess body weight and fat.
5. Not all diet dog food is dry food, you can find some good quality canned wet foods too and some weight loss dog food ranges are also soya free for dogs with intolerances.